The American Library Association's Washington Office tumblr. We post about federal policies that affect libraries, including copyright, privacy and access. We also post about ebooks and, admittedly, the occasional library fluff.
Posts tagged librarians
ALA President, Courtney Young on the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
Watch the 12pm (Eastern) signing ceremony live at http://www.whitehouse.gov/live
Do you like libraries? Enough to call your elected rep.?
Please contact your United States Representative TODAY at 202-224-3121 and urge her/him to support the passage of H.R. 803, the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA). The Senate recently passed this bill with a bipartisan vote of 95-3. Your help is crucial to ensure that the House does the same thing.
H.R. 803 would reauthorize the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) and has the following provisions supporting public libraries:
Title I – Workforce Development Activities
- Allows public libraries to be considered additional One-Stop partners. Meaning that Libraries will now have access to federal funding for job training and job search programs.
- Functions of the State and Local Workforce Development Board. State and Local Workforce Boards must include plans to improve digital literacy skills at One-Stop delivery systems.
- Prohibits federal supervision or control over selection of library resources.
- Allowable Statewide Employment and Training Activities. Authorizes adult education and literacy activities provided by public libraries as an allowable statewide employment and training activity.
Title II – Adult Education and Literacy
- Definition of Workforce Preparation Activities. Includes a definition of “workforce preparation activities” that specifically includes digital literacy skills.
H.R. 803 could be a huge victory for libraries and your call could get this legislation to the President’s desk. Your participation can make all the difference. Please call today!